Cesar L. Escalante Professor Agricultural & Applied Economics
Mailing Address Athens, CAES Campus 313E Conner Hall, 147 Cedar St., Athens, GA 30602
Shipping Address Athens, CAES Campus 313E Conner Hall, 147 Cedar Street, Athens, GA 30602
Own this profile? Request changes
- Ph.D., Agricultural Economics - University of Illinois, 2001
- M.S., Agricultural Economics, University of Guelph (Ontario, Canada), 1996
- Exchange Scholar - International Christian University (Tokyo, Japan), 1984
- B.A., Economics - Ateneo de Manila University (Philippines), 1983
- Agricultural Finance: Analysis of lenders' risk rating systems and risk management strategies; application of migration framework to farm credit risk analysis
- Agribusiness Management: Analysis of farmers' financial structure decisions and business strategies for financial growth, risk management and debt repayment
- Immigration, farm labor, and health economics-related issues
- Development and microfinance.
- Farm financial management, including farm business planning, record-keeping, financial analysis
Awards, Honors and Professional Appointments
- 2020 Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA) Mentoring Award
- 2020 College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES) Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award
- 2020 President’s Martin Luther King Fulfilling the Dream Award
- 2019 First Year Odyssey Teaching Award
- 2014 Faculty Diversity Award, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, University of Georgia.
- Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society in Agriculture’s 2007 Award for Junior Achievement in Research
- 2019-2021 Diversity Advisory Council
- 2018-2019 University Aspire Fellow
- Outstanding Faculty Member, given by the Graduate Student Association of the Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 2009-2010, 2008-2009, 2005-2006
- Team Adviser, UGA Graduate Agribusiness Case Study Team, 2nd Place (2012), Honorable Mention (2016, 2010, 2009), Finalist (2008) in the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA) annual competitions
- Adviser, AAEA Graduate Extension Competition, 1st Place (2015), 2nd (2017), 3rd (2016, 2014)
- Major Professor, Outstanding Master's Thesis Award
- Uthra Raghunathan, American Agricultural Economics Association, 2009
- Mark M. Byrd, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, 2006
Selected Outstanding Paper Awards
- 10th Anniversary Best Paper Award (Energies Journal), ““Ethanol, Corn, and Soybean Price Relations in a Volatile Vehicle-Fuels Market.” February 2018. (with Zibin Zhang, PhD)
- Outstanding Conference Paper: “The U.S. Immigrant Farm Workers’ Relative Access to Health Services” International Conference on Business & Information, Nagoya, Japan, July 2016 (with Tianyuan Luo, PhD)
- Outstanding Conference Paper: “Is There Gender Bias in Federal Farm Lending Decisions?” International Conference on Business and Information, Seoul, South Korea, July 2008 (with Uthra Raghunathan, MSc)
- Outstanding Journal Article Award for 2000 (Review of Agricultural Economics), “Lease Pricing for Farm Real Estate.” American Agricultural Economics Association (AAEA) Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois, August 7, 2001
Research and Scholarship Awards
- University of Georgia Faculty Research Foundation Award (competitive research grant) for Junior Faculty Members, 2002
- Colvin and Agricultural Finance Program Fellowships, Dept. of Agricultural & Consumer Economics, University of Illinois (1999-2000)
- Departmental SODEN Scholarship Award for Academic Excellence given by the Ontario Agricultural College, University of Guelph (1995)
- Editor, Journal of Agribusiness (2014-2015), Co-Editor (2009-2013)
- Editorial Council member, Journal of Agricultural & Applied Economics (JAAE): 2003-2006
Selected Recent Publications (with manuscript links)
- Luo, T. and C.L. Escalante. “"Stringent Immigration Enforcement and the Mental Health and Health-Risk Behaviors of Hispanic Adolescent Students in Arizona." Forthcoming in Health Economics (2020).
o Manuscript Link: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/hec.4178
- Escalante, C.L., T. Luo, and C.E. Taylor. “The Availability of H-2A Guest Farm Workers during the COVID-19 Pandemic.” Choices. 35,3 (2020).
o Manuscript Link: https://www.choicesmagazine.org/choices-magazine/theme-articles/covid-19-and-the-agriculture-industry-labor-supply-chains-and-consumer-behavior/the-availability-of-h-2a-guest-farm-workers-during-the-covid-19-pandemic
- Pena-Levano, L. and C.L. Escalante. “Oil consumption, air quality, and health risks during the COVID-19 pandemic.” Environmental and Resource Economics. 76(2020):465-470
o Manuscript Link: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10640-020-00493-2#Sec12
- M. Zheng, C.L. Escalante, and C.E. Taylor. “Did Aggressive Business Growth Strategies Lead to Bank Failures? Lessons from the Late 2000s Great Recession.” Journal of Applied Finance and Banking. 10,6 (2020): 135-151.
o Manuscript Link: https://www.scienpress.com/journal_focus.asp?main_id=56&Sub_id=IV&Issue=1918799
- Ghimire, J., C.L. Escalante, R. Ghimire, and C. Dodson. “Do Farm Service Agency Borrowers’ Double Minority Labels Lead to More Unfavorable Loan Packaging Terms?” Agricultural Finance Review. 80,5 (2020): 633-646.
o Manuscript Link: https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/AFR-03-2020-0038/full/html
- Quansah, J., C.L. Escalante, A. Kunadu, F. Saalia, and J. Chen. “Pre- and Post-harvest Practices of Urban Leafy Green Vegetable Farmers in Accra, Ghana and Their Association with Microbial Quality of Vegetables Produced" Agriculture – Open Access—MDPI. 10,1 (2020): 18.
o Manuscript Link: https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0472/10/1/18
- Zheng, M. and C.L. Escalante. “The Economic Recessionary Pressure on Sustainable Growth Strategies of Agricultural and Non-Agricultural Banks.” Agricultural Finance Review. 80,3 (2020): 437-451.
o Manuscript Link: https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/AFR-07-2019-0077/full/html
- Dhakal, Chandra, C.L. Escalante, and C. Dodson. “Heterogeneity of Farm Loan Packaging Term Decisions: A Finite Mixtures Approach.” Applied Economics Letters. 26:18 (2019): 1528-1532.
- Manuscript Link: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13504851.2019.1584360
- Luo, T. and C.L. Escalante. “The Emigration of Adult Children and Smoking Behaviors of Parents" China Agricultural Economic Review. 11,2 (2019): 317-335.
- Luo, T. and C.L. Escalante. “Health care service utilization of Documented and Undocumented U.S. farm workers.” European Journal of Health Economics, 19,7 (2018): 923-934.
- Manuscript Link: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10198-017-0939-x
- Escalante, C.L., A. Osinubi, C. Dodson, and C.E. Taylor. "Looking Beyond Farm Loan Approval Decisions: Loan Pricing and Non-Pricing Terms for Socially Disadvantaged Farm Borrowers." Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics 50,1 (2018):129-148.
- Luo, T. and C.L. Escalante. "Employer-Provided Health Benefits and Employment Decisions of U.S. Farm Workers.” Agricultural Finance Review. 77,3 (2017): 358-375.
- Luo, T. and C.L. Escalante. “US farm workers: What drives their job retention and work time allocation decisions?” Economic and Labour Relations Review. 28,2 (2017): 270-293.
- Manuscript Link: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1035304617703933
- Sheremenko, G., C.L. Escalante, and W. Florkowski. “Financial Sustainability and Poverty Outreach: The Case of Microfinance Institutions in Eastern Europe and Central Asia.” European Journal of Development Research, 29,1: 230-245
- Manuscript Link: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1057%2Fejdr.2016.12
- Escalante, C.L., Y.Wu, and X. Li. “Organic Farms’ Seasonal Farm Labor Sourcing Strategies in the Pre-“Arizona” Mode of Immigration Control.” Applied Economics Letters 23,5 (2016): 341-346.
- Manuscript Link: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1057%2Fejdr.2016.12
- Jones, G., C.L. Escalante, and H. Rusiana. "Reconciling Information Gaps in Organic Farm Borrowers' Dealings with Farm Lenders." Agricultural Finance Review. 75,4 (2015): 469-483.